Let us listen to some songs for a change [ ha..ha.. DVD தீந்து போச்சா 🙂 ]. I have been collecting and listening to music for a long time. Right from my school days, I used to move with slightly elderly friends and hence I was attracted to the songs they listened that time. I remember listening to ‘Poondhaliraada’ from ‘Paneer pushpangall’, in Ungall viruppam. I remember in UKG [ yei.. Yei.. Mister.. என்ன இதெல்லாம் :) ], I listened to this ‘Mayile Mayile’ from ‘Kadavull amaitha medai’. Slowly, I grew with All India Radio programme on on film songs – உங்கள் விருப்பம், திரை கானம், ஒலிச்சித்திரம், ஒரு படப் பாடல், சிறுவர் சோலை, தேன்கிண்ணம்.[ sometimes, Hindi songs used to come ‘aap kee parmaayeesh’ !].
I spent a lot in recording songs [ in empty 90 mins cassettes ] in my early days of my career. I had a box full of 90mins Maxell/Sony cassettes. I had a friend who owned a music shop with very rare collection. The shop was filled with LP records – I found that as a treasure.. Nandu [ Manjall veyil maalayitta poove ], Mudhal Iravu [ Manjall nilavuku indru ], Karumbu Vil [ Meen kodi theril ], Kazhugu [ Kaadhal ennum Kovil ] are some of the rare gems ! . I even recorded MNM songs in a 90 mins cassette – just for fun [ Crankx knows what is MNM 🙂 ]. I’ll recollect more in a separate blog [ இது வேறயா ! ] .
The only topic I am comfy and confident talking with Mysskin is Tamil film music and films [ not much on books 🙁 ]. He introduced instrumental music like Santoor [ Pt Shivkumar Sharma ] ,Ramana malai, English film soundtracks [ Braveheart ] to me.
Slowly, my music gadgets changed from Sony walkman, CD – MAN player and now it’s a ZEN mp3 player with FM Radio. Now, I have settled with FM radio [ around 9 channels in Chennai ]. The beauty of FM channel is it’s unpredictability. Suddenly, you hear the prelude of ‘Poo maalaiye’ from Pagal nilavu or the mesmerising flute start in ‘Siru Thoduthalile’ from laadam ; just like a heavy n sudden rain. In my Bangalore life, I missed this beautiful option of hearing songs in radio. After I returned to Chennai, I’m delighted to hear songs almost all the time. The best one’s are from Vairamuthu neram – in aaha FM.
This blog is about the female singers of 2008. Though I am not convinced to restrict the songs by year or by any other category, I wanted to share the frequent songs that came in FM.
1. Madhushree – Marudhani / Sakkara katti / ARR
2. Bombay Jayashree – Yaaro manadhile / Dhaam dhoom /Harris Jayaraj
The chemistry of Bombay Jayashree in Harris’s music started way back in 2000 [ Vaseegara in Minnale ]. A trivia about Vaseegara song – it’s the only Tamil song which has the word ‘Mudivili’ – infinity. [ காதலெனும் முடிவிலியில் கடிகார நேரம் கிடையாதே !!].
The initial lines are sung by Singer Krish. Her voice travels in a different orbit, unexplored by the regular singers in Tamil. A real good one.
3. Swetha Mohan – Manasukkull / Anjathey /Sundar C Babu
4. Sudhaa Ragunathan – Anal mele pani thuli / Vaaranam 1000 / Harris Jayaraj.
5. Sadhan Sargam – Mukundha Mukundha / Dasavatharam / Himesh
Just for the voice of SS.
Best duets of 2008
1. Kangall Irandaal – Belly raj/Deepa mariam – MD:James vasathan – Subramaniapuram
2. Naan varaindhu vaitha – Hariharan/Madhushree – MD:Vidyasagar – Jayamkondaan
3. En anbe – Sadhana Sargam/Benny dayal – MD:Harris – Satyam
4. Ragasiya kanavugall – Hariharan/Madhushree – MD:Harris – Bheema
5. Adiye kolluthey – Benny dayal/Krish/Shruthi hasan [ Terrific voice !!]- MD:Harris – Varanam 1000
6. Mundhinam – Naresh Iyer/Prashanthini [ Daugther of Malaysia Vasudevan ]- MD:Harris – Vaaranam 1000
7. Machaan machaan – IR / Belashinde – MD:YuvanShankar – Silambattam. Bela Shinde is also a winner from Sa re ga ma program along with another gen singer Shreya ghosal.
8. Lesaa parakudhu – Karthik/Chinmayi – MD:Selvaganesh – Vennila Kabbadi kuzhu.