Vaadu leftlo Veedu rightlo
I’m not comfortable with remake or remix or any tinkering to an original piece of art — even though it’s mostly done based on the business aspects. Good or bad or ugly — once the piece is done, it’s done. There’s no point in redoing the entire stuff — waste of time, energy and money. Especially when it comes to good films/songs. Could you imagine a remix of Kanne Kalaimane song or remake of Nayagan / Mullum malarum / Magadheera. Once Mahendran said, even he himself cannot remake the movie Udhiri pookkall. Those beautiful creations happened and were not made. IR once said Janani Janani song happened and it was not created.
What’s the point in remaking Mambattiyaan, 3 Idiots, Gajini. Getting the story rights and making it in different form is another variation of this. Most of the works aim the colletion the previous movie made and not the story/the essence of it. Drohkaal — Kurudhippunal was an exception which took the essence of the original movie — Adding songs to Drohkaal would have spoiled the entire movie. The modern remakes are made shot by shot. Once Prathap Bothan did a remake of Yamaleela in Tamil as Lucky man. The telugu producer worked along with him in the movie asking for the same silly details as it was in Telugu. As per Prathap, in a chasing scene, producer started shouting “Vaadu leftlo veedu rightlo” to reinstate the sequence as made in Telugu film 🙂 We do not want those kinds of remakes !
Premji amaran told in an interview that he favours remix songs as it reduces his time to search(?!) for a new tune. On the otherhand, when ARR was told that Roja is getting dubbed in Hindi, he volunteered for enhancements in the re-recording to make it better.
If I can select one best supporting actor of 2011, I will select Guru Somasundaram, who acted as Kaalaiyan in Aranya Kaandam [ the other actor came in mind was VIS.Jayabalan — Pettaikaran in Aadukallam ]. Such a fabulous performance he did. As everybody thinks/wishes, he should have got many good roles in Tamil films [ Gana Ulaganathan was booked in 12 films simultaneously after Chithiram pesudhadhi ! ]. Surprisingly, Guru didn’t get a single chance because of his appearance and hardwork. He doesn’t look like what he was on screen. Even people didn’t recognise him in the theatres, where he watched aaranya gaandam along with the public. Other directors don’t know what do with him or what sort of characters they can offer him !
Though it was sad, the actor is still happy that nobody recognises him in the real world. I came to know that VKRamaswamy’s dialogue delivery and moustache of Ma.Po.Si, were the base elements of his character sketch [ similarly Balaiya’s tone was used for Balram Naidu !]. Think how many such scripts we have which has some character sketch. [ Santhanam sir.. neenga friend role pandreenga.. ellariyum kalaikareenga. avlo dhaan ! ]
I would not wonder even if Dhanush takes the academy awards podium with 2 Oscar awards for writing [?! ] and singing [?!] Kolaveri song. The reason is that we live in such an extraordinary marketing mania[c] world. The recent example is RAAJAPAATAI — any regular cinema fan can easily say it was a crap. But the team has done enough marketing by the following ways.
– Team interviews in different TV/FM channels. [ Oru tea kadai shot rombave time eduthuduchu.. crowd disturbance ! Cameraman Madhieku annaiku sema juram ].
– Songs/movies were telecasted based on the technicians involved. Vikram hits, Suseendhran hits, Vennila kabadi kuzhu,. It’s an indirect marketing attack !.
– Repeating songs in the intermission time of any movie. Even Mouna guru interval time was filled with Raajapaatai songs. [ Pudhu paiyan polave song sounds just like a pan parak advt song ! ]
– Poster designs. This is the only movie I saw with just Vikram in the posters / banners. The mutliple getups were given high importance. [ similar to Vadivel [Body soda] of Pokiri whatever he does, even a kid identifies who he is by his nose :)]. I recall a good film Kazhugumalaik Kallan [ 1988 ] which had great get-ups of that time !
– Of course, our media. The difference between a good film and a bad film is judged with meager difference in rating or stars or marks.
– Occupying the major theatres possible may be considered as one more catalyst.
– Media gossips — If watched closely the gossips come right before & during the release of the movie [ Dhanush — Sruthi Datingaa – Seerum Rajini Kudumbam !!! Kumurum Kamal kudumbam !! ] and then disappears exactly after the movie release. By the time, we get another one. [ Karthi & Pranitha chemistry — Saguni-yin Sallaabam !! ]
– Telugu rights !! You know. Ayirathil oruvan, KO, 7am arivu were as successful as original movies in Telugu. I would not worry if VEEDINTHE [ dubbed version of Raajapaatai ] movie becomes a success in Telugu !
Happy thinking !